J. Scott Merrell
Scott serves as Of Counsel to Hutchison’s corporate practice group, an area in which he has over 30 years of legal experience. Scott’s areas of focus include nonprofit law, corporate governance and ethics, technology commercialization, business transactions with the Federal Government and mergers, acquisitions and divestitures.
Prior to joining Hutchison, Scott served as Senior Vice President, Secretary and Chief Legal Officer at RTI International. He was responsible for the legal oversight of all RTI operations, including corporate governance, government contracting, commercial transactions, intellectual property protection and commercialization, tax, regulatory compliance, internal audit, the ethics and compliance program and other corporate matters.
Scott serves as a Senior Lecturing Fellow at the Duke University School of Law, where he leads classes on structuring commercial transactions and corporate ethics.
Recognition, Affiliations & Memberships
- Senior lecturing fellow, Duke University School of Law
- Counsel to the CEO and Board of Governors, RTI International
- Member, Association of University Technology Managers (AUTM)
- J.D., Wake Forest University, 1983
- B.A., magna cum laude, Duke University, 1980
- North Carolina and U.S. District Courts