Trevor P. Schmidt
Trevor P. Schmidt
Trevor has extensive experience in matters associated with intellectual property prosecution, licensing, enforcement and strategic counseling. He effectively works with companies to monetize and protect their IP through licensing, development, reseller agreements and associated contracts. Having managed domestic and international trademark portfolios for Fortune 500 companies, he has considerable experience in all stages of the life of a trademark, such as selection and clearance, application preparation, prosecution before the United States Patent and Trademark Office, foreign filings, opposition and cancellation matters, preparing and responding to cease and desist letters, domain name registration and protection strategies and UDRP complaints.
Trevor routinely provides counsel on the intellectual property issues associated with major transactions and advises clients on maximizing their intellectual property assets through enforcement and licensing strategies.
Trevor also is a registered patent attorney with a technical background in physics. He has drafted and prosecuted a number of mechanical-, business method- and software-related patent applications.
Recognition, Affiliations & Memberships
- Triangle Business Journal "40 Under 40", 2012
- AV® Peer Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2012, 2016, 2018
- Co-trustee, Love Care Center Charitable Trust
- International Trademark Association, member, Internet Committee (2012-2013)
- Triangle Intellectual Property Law Association
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Constituency of ICANN, member (2010-2014)
- Business North Carolina Legal Elite for Intellectual Property (2015-2018)
- 2016 Distinguished Young Alumni Award from Chadron State College
- Member, NC LEAP Steering Committee
- J.D., with honors, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Law, 2006
- B.S., summa cum laude, Chadron State College (Physics), 2003
- North Carolina State Courts
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina
- Patent Attorney, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit